How many times have you found yourself standing in the pet food isle amazed at all the choices of food: light, weight management, indoor formula, senior, hairball control, adult, active, puppy/kitten, and so-on? Every bag is so brightly colored showing a picture of a happy and healthy pet. With all the distractions, picking the best pet food can become quite the hassle. For most of us picking the cheapest bag constitutes the best choice. But what if you flipped the bag over and looked at the label, would you know what you are looking at? For most of us the answer would be no.
- Getting Back to the Basics
- 6 Basic Nutrients Needed By All Animals
- Proteins, fats and carbohydrates are all energy producing.
- Vitamins, minerals, and water are all non-energy producing.
- What roles do proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals play in a pet’s life?
- Proteins: The building blocks of all cells.
- Fats: A good source of energy that can be stored for later use.
- Carbohydrates: A quick, simple, easily absorbed energy source
- Vitamins: Play a very essential role in every day metabolic activities.
- Minerals: Very important in building and maintaining healthy bones, teeth and muscle function.
The GREATEST need is Water!
- Out of all the nutrients water deprivation kills the quickest.
- All living things have to have a constant intake of water.
- Water plays a major role in the body.
- A pet’s body is mostly water – 70-80%!