FAQ Contact Reviews
Services Staff Blog
Facility Dog Tips Cat Tips
FAQ Contact Reviews
Services Staff Blog
Facility Dog Tips Cat Tips

Thanksgiving Safety Tips

Thanksgiving is such a very scrumptious holiday! With all the food and gatherings, it can be such a fun holiday too. Sharing this with our furry family members is also a treat, as long as the right precautions are taken.

Safe Eating

  • We all know the holidays bring lots of yummy goodies. As tempting as it may be, sharing these treats with our four-legged family members can be very dangerous. NEVER feed your dog and/or cat table scraps.
  • Rich fatty foods can cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) which can lead to extreme pain and hospitalization. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea can be signs of this, so let your guest know to avoid feeding your pets any table scraps.
  • NEVER give your pets any type of bone to chew on. Bones can splinter when chewed, causing cuts in the mouth, throat and G.I. tract. They can become lodged in the throat, leading to choking, or in the G.I. tract which would mean surgery and can be life threatening.
  • Certain herbs that we use to spice up our casseroles can contain resins and oils that can upset stomachs as well.
  • Onions and garlic are toxic too. Ingestion of either will destroy your pet's red blood cells leading to anemia and also cause gastroenteritis. Garlic is considered five times more toxic than onions, but if your furry baby eats either, contact your vet as soon as possible.
  • Grapes and raisins are also toxic, even a small amount can cause acute kidney failure.
  • Coffee is also dangerous, whether it is ground or whole beans.
  • Nicotine and xylitol (found in sugar-free gum) can cause vomiting, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, and tremors. Your pet will need to be assessed immediately.
  • Alcoholic beverages are often a part of holiday festivities but need to be contained to humans only. Alcohol can cause bloating which can lead to the stomach twisting, which is deadly.
  • Along with alcohol, raw dough can contain yeast, this is also deadly to pets. Their body temperature is higher than ours which can cause the dough to rise in their stomach, causing bloating and can cause the stomach to twist. Also when the yeast ferments, it results in the production of carbon dioxide and alcohol, which will lead to alcohol poisoning in your pet. Signs of alcohol poisoning are a drop in blood pressure, blood sugar, and body temperature.
  • Any utensils that may be used during feast preparations need to be kept up and away from sniffing noses. Anything from spatulas to meat thermometers can become dangerous if gotten ahold of by your pets.

Decorations

  • Decorating for the holidays is a fun activity. Pay close attention to the decorations you use, and if there is any possibility it could be chewed or broken, it may be a good idea to either skip those decorations or place them up and away from wandering, curious eyes and happy tails.
  • Candles and liquid fragrances also pose as a hazard to our pets. Candles can not only smell enticing to our four-legged friends, they can also become a fire hazard to wagging tails. NEVER leave a candle unattended if you have dogs and/or cats in the house. Liquid fragrances or potpourri can be toxic to animals if ingested, leading to G.I. upset and even death. It can also can skin irritation and oral irritation.
 

Facebook - medium icon Instagram Twitter - medium icon YouTube - medium icon VetScene - medium icon Cat Friendly - medium icon Appointment - medium icon Pinterest - medium icon
Twitter Instagram YouTube Facebook Pinterest
VetScene Cat Friendly AAHA
Web Design © 2012-15 gfgraphics - Waynesville NC